“The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy is an exciting new program designed to get dog owners and their puppies off to a good start. The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program is an incentive program for loving dog owners who have taken the time to take their puppies through a basic training class.” For additional information, please visit the official AKC website.
S.T.A.R. Puppy class is for puppies ages 12 weeks to 6 months. This class is offered in the winter session only.
Next Class Session
Our Winter 2018 STAR Puppy classes starts on Wednesday, February 7th, 2018, at the 4H-Building on Rollandet Avenue in Idaho Falls. Each class will be held once a week for eight weeks on Wednesday nights. The class will be held from 5:15 pm – 6:00 pm.
- PRE-REGISTRATION is required.
- Classes are limited to space available. Register early to secure your spot.
- Registration is accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Registration should be completed online using the online store. Your slot is reserved when you have finished checking out. You will receive a confirmation email when your order is complete.
- Payment must be received no later than 10 days prior to the first day of class.
- If the class is full you may add your name to a waiting list in the case that a slot opens up.
- Online payment options for check, credit card, or PayPal are available.
- Non Members: $75.00
- Senior Discount (55 and older): $55.00
- Dog Adopted from Shelter or Humane Society: $40.00 (must show adoption papers, reduced price is for first time through classes only)
- Second Dog in Same Family for a single class: $60.00
- Inactive Club Members: $35.00
- Proof of Rabies & PARVO vaccinations is required
- For the STAR Puppy class, the puppy must be ages 12 weeks to 6 months at the start of class
An Orientation will be held on Tuesday, February 6th, 2018, at from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., at the 4H-Building on Rollandet Avenue in Idaho Falls. At the orientation, you will be able to meet with your instructor. The instructors will go over rules and curriculum for the class in order to save time when the class starts.
Please do not bring your dog to the orientation meeting.
Please bring your proof of vaccinations to the orientation meeting.
In addition, collars and leads will be available for purchase at the orientation. If you need to purchase a collar for your dog, please measure your dog’s neck and also their head at the area just before the ears. This will allow us to provide you with the proper size collar.
If you have any questions about our STAR Puppy classes, please feel free to contact us.
Obedience Training Director
Our STAR Puppy class will be located at the 4H-Building on Rollandet Avenue in Idaho Falls.
- Maintains puppy’s health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
- Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge
- Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
- Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
- Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
- Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc.
- Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class
- Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
- Tolerates collar or body harness of owner’s choice
- Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
- Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN® TEST BEHAVIORS:
- Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner
- Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
- Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
- Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away
- Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure
- Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
- Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called
- Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented 15-ft away
- Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)