“The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy is an exciting new program designed to get dog owners and their puppies off to a good start. The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program is an incentive program for loving dog owners who have taken the time to take their puppies through a basic training class.” For additional information, please visit the official AKC website.
S.T.A.R. Puppy class is for puppies ages 12 weeks to 6 months. This class is offered in the winter session only.
- PRE-REGISTRATION is required.
- Classes are limited to space available. Register early to secure your spot.
- Registration is accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Registration forms and payment must be received no later than 10 days prior to the first day of class.
- If the class is full you may add your name to a waiting list in the case that a slot opens up.
- Online payment options for check, credit card, or PayPal are available.
After you have submitted your payment and received a confirmation number, please make sure send your registration form. Details can be found at the link below.
- Non Members: $75.00
- Senior Discount (55 and older): $55.00
- Dog Adopted from Shelter or Humane Society: $40.00 (must show adoption papers, reduced price is for first time through classes only)
- Second Dog in Same Family: $60.00
- Inactive Club Members: $35.00
- Proof of Rabies & PARVO Vaccinations Required
- Puppy must be ages 12 weeks to 6 months at the start of class
1. Maintains puppy’s health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
2. Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge
3. Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
4. Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
5. Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
6. Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc.
7. Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class
8. Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
9. Tolerates collar or body harness of owner’s choice
10. Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
11. Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN® TEST BEHAVIORS:
12. Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner
13. Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
14. Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
15. Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away
16. Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure
17. Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
18. Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called
19. Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented 15-ft away
20. Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)